Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Retreat Time

I haven't been around for a few days because I am on my annual retreat with my sister and a good friend.

This is our seventh year to come away and spend some quiet time alone in the mountains near Lake Tahoe, studying God's word and drawing closer to Him. 

With all the struggles I've been having with my diet and getting things done at home, I was really looking forward to this time away.  It feels good to jump out of the boiling pot for a while and catch my breath.  Right now I am listening to the wind blowing through the tall pine trees outside.  The sky is crystal blue, the air is clear, the sun is warm.  The cool breeze wafting through the screen door feels like heaven.

The food thing is going fine.  We're staying in a friend's house, so we are eating healthy as we have all the comforts of home right here.  It's a three story house and I'm sleeping on the third floor, so I'm getting some good exercise going up and down the stairs.  It's easy to get my heart rate up because our elevation is about 6,200 feet.  We stayed at this same house last year, and I really struggled with all the stairs.  This year they are No Big Deal.  I'm enjoying noticing the progress I've made, and find myself looking forward to our visit next year (if we are so blessed to come again), to see what more I will be able to do physically that I cannot do now.

Having been on this annoying plateau for the last several weeks, being here and experiencing my physical improvement is a real shot in the arm.  I am encouraged to Hang In There.  Even if I only lose a few more pounds in the coming year, and improve my physical health a small amount, I will still enjoy being able to do a bit more than I can do now.  For that matter, even if I don't lose one more pound, and my fitness level stays the same, I still have so much for which to be grateful!  Feeling better is its own reward.  While I want to keep improving, I can still enjoy the benefits of the improvements that have occured up to this point.

Of course, staying where I am also requires effort.  I still need to eat properly and exercise.  I am just feeling some relief from being so preoccupied with losing the next pound.  If I do my part, the weight loss will come.  It may not happen as quickly as I would like, but this experience is helping me get perspective on how far I've come, and what has already been accomplished.  Praise the Lord!

"When you spend one hour a day adoring your Lord
 and never do anything which you know is wrong...you will be just fine."
Mother Teresa


1 comment:

  1. Hi Cindy,

    I can't believe that I'm back home and our retreat is over! What a wonderful week drawing near to Him. James 4:8 tells us, "Come near to God and He will come near to you." His promise is true. Now we come home and try to live our lives in the "hub", close to Him. Thank you for an amazing week!

    Love you,
    Your sister

    ReplyDelete

(If you have trouble commenting, try using the "Anonymous" setting and sign your name on your post. I have set all the permissions to include everyone, but some people are still having troubles. Sorry!)