Thursday, November 17, 2011

Exercising My Will to Succeed

I actually went to the gym.  Twelve and a half minutes on the eliptical, six minutes on the bike, and a round of various circuit machines.  It wasn't much, but it was forty minutes of something.
Seven months ago I went to the gym and I couldn't do any of those things.  With torn meniscus in both my knees, every machine I tried hurt.  The doc said I wasn't a good candidate for surgery because..oh joy..I also have arthritis in my knees.  So physical therapy and exercise was my only avenue to recovery.  The physical therapist told me to ride a stationary bike for 30 minutes a day, so I went to the gym.  Couldn't do it.  With every pedal stroke it felt like someone was sticking needles into my knees.

I suppose I could have pushed through the pain and Done It Anyway.  But I have learned that while people give advice - even expert advice at times - with the best of intentions, they are not always correct.  This is my body.  I know what I can and can't do, and I have to take responsibility for my own recovery.  So I spent the summer walking in the pool, strengthening the muscles around my knees in a wet, sun-tanning sort of way.  The result is now I can graduate to the bike and further strengthen and tone my messed up knees. 

Many of my friends have been giving me advice about eating on Thanksgiving Day, too.  They all mean well.  I've heard everything from "Enjoy the day!" (i.e., EAT EVERYTHING IN SIGHT) to "Bring your own food!" (i.e., don't take any chances.)  I'd like to say I know what I can and can't do when it comes to Turkey Day, but I just don't know how I will react to All That Food layed out in front of me.  What I do know is that I have to take responsibility for what I eat that day and every day.  I have to take responsibility for my own recovery, and not let myself be pressured into eating for the sake of pleasing anyone but myself.

And if I please myself a little too much...there's always the gym!

Hugs.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cindy,

    I love how every time you struggle with something, you come up with a sensible way of handling it! And 40 minutes in the gym IS much! Good for you.

    Have a blessed day. :)

    Love you,
    Your sister

    ReplyDelete

(If you have trouble commenting, try using the "Anonymous" setting and sign your name on your post. I have set all the permissions to include everyone, but some people are still having troubles. Sorry!)