Monday, December 31, 2012

2012: In Review

As of today, I have lost a total of 68 pounds.

In the last twelve months, I lost 28.4 pounds.  Not a lot...less than three pounds a month average.  But I am certainly happy that I'm nearly 30 pounds lighter than I was a year ago.

This year presented me with many challenges, including a very frustrating plateau, a trip to the ER and gallbladder surgery, and a couple of bouts of the flu (one of which I am currently experiencing!)  I have survived a family reunion, Thanksgiving and Christmas, several pot lucks, dancing at the Dr. Phil Show, and being told off.

I transitioned into "regular size" clothing for the first time in 28 years.

I'm less likely than I used to be to turn to food when I'm stressed.  (Sometimes I still feel the urge, but have learned that eating is not going to help.)  I have more energy, and am a little more physically active.  I'm starting to be okay with not cleaning my plate if I realize that I'm not hungry any more.  I'm more comfortable in social situations involving food, and am feeling less threatened by situations where I don't have control over what is being served.

I'm starting to see myself, if not as a thin person, at least as a "not obese" person. 

Probably the most important thing I've learned this year is the value of having supportive friends and family.  I truly believe that all of my past weight loss attempts have failed because I tried to do it on my own without any support.  So much of this effort has to do with love, acceptance and forgiveness!  While it is important to be able to give these gifts to ourselves, the power of giving these gifts to each other is off the charts!  I'm so very grateful to be the recipient of your love, acceptance and forgiveness, and I'm giving it right back to you.

Hugs.

2 comments:

  1. Atta girl, Cindy! Happy New Year!

    Roger

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a perfect way to close out the year. I love your clarity in being able to see what you've accomplished in 2012. God's blessings to you!
    Love,
    Your sister

    ReplyDelete

(If you have trouble commenting, try using the "Anonymous" setting and sign your name on your post. I have set all the permissions to include everyone, but some people are still having troubles. Sorry!)