Saturday, January 28, 2012

Near Miss

We got home just in the nick of time.

Nearly two weeks on the road proved to be very challenging, and the biggest challenges came at the end of the trip. That "I'm on vacation" mentality started to creep in.

On the road home we stopped to visit with my husband's sister.  The front door opened to the aroma of freshly baking cranberry bread, ready to come out of the oven.  "It's for breakfast," she said innocently.  And yes, it was fabulous.

Lunch that day was a reasonably safe salad with grilled chicken. I knew that dinner was going to be some kind of crock-pot chicken that involved canned soup and stove stop stuffing mix.  It was a little outside of my normal parameters, but I figured the salad and vegetables that were going along with it would balance out my nutritional needs. 

We sat down to a beautiful dinner table, complete with pre-poured wine at every place setting.  Okay, I thought.  I'm on vacation.  One glass of wine won't kill me.  Then out came the expected chicken dish.  I took half a serving.  What surprised me was the salad and the vegetables.  "The salad has mayonnaise," she said.  "And the vegetables have canned soup and mayonnaise.  Oh, and the topping is Ritz crackers and butter."

I appreciated that she told me what was in everything.  And believe me, everything was delicious.  I used those ever-handy weekly points as I enjoyed every bite of that good home cooking.  I even asked for the recipes, hoping I could tame the fat content with some savvy substitutions.  But the problem was how much I enjoyed it all!  I honestly could have sat at the table and kept eating until every bite of food had made it from the table to my tummy.  The only evidence that vegetable casserole had existed would have been the Ritz crumbs at the corners of my mouth. 

I could have kept eating.  I didn't.  But this experience showed me how close I am to edge of the abyss, and how much I depend on having control over my own eating environment.  There's a lot of good food out there, people!  I'm grateful that what I'm learning at WW helps me deal with these real-life food situations.  I'm grateful that God is watching over me and giving me strength to get through these real-life situations, and strength to keep pressing on toward my goal.

  •  I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.  I can do everything through him who gives me strength.  Philipians 4:12-13 

Hugs.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Cindy,
    One way or another, you survived the trip! Thank you so much for coming! I love that God kept you safe on the road all those thousands of miles. I'm also glad you won't be served mayo again for a long time!
    Love you!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that you are home safe and sound and that you had a good visit with your sister! I've missed your blogs!

    Blessings, Jill

    ReplyDelete

(If you have trouble commenting, try using the "Anonymous" setting and sign your name on your post. I have set all the permissions to include everyone, but some people are still having troubles. Sorry!)