Friday, January 13, 2012

"There, there."

Busy Day.  Found myself running errands and had to go to the store.  Meandered dangerously close to the pastries.  Looked them over.  Walked away.

Walking through the grocery store, I had flashbacks to the days when I would buy something to eat on the way home--or on the way out to the car.  I wasn't exactly hungry.  Just wanted to EAT.  Not sure why.

We're getting ready to go on a trip.  I'm a little anxious about it, about the eating part.  But I also know that I will be able to get through it.  Maybe it's just the interruption of my routine that has me feeling uneasy.  After all, I only just recently got comfortable with that routine, and now I'm leaving it for a brief period of time. 

Guess my cruising airplane has hit a bit of turbulence!  Doesn't mean anybody's going to crash, though.  I have a fantastic Pilot who I know is in control. 

My mom used to say that sometimes all we need to get over a hump is to have somebody pat us on the shoulder and say, "There, there.  Everything is going to be okay."  We need that simple reassurance from another human being that we're going to make it through whatever we're dealing with.  Trouble is, we don't always have that person nearby when we need them.  When that happens I either make my husband say it (better than nothing), or I sit quietly and picture my mom giving me that reassuring pat on the shoulder. 

Since he's already gone to bed, I'm sitting quietly.  Thanks, Mom.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cindy,

    There, there. Everything is going to be ok. :)

    The funny thing about our childhoods is that, though we were raised in the same house, we have different memories. I don't remember Mom saying that. But I can picture her saying it. I picture her with the sun behind her head, laughing. A happy memory. And everything is going to be ok! She wanted that for us.

    Love you,
    Your sister

    ReplyDelete

(If you have trouble commenting, try using the "Anonymous" setting and sign your name on your post. I have set all the permissions to include everyone, but some people are still having troubles. Sorry!)