Monday, June 18, 2012

Body Image

My first bout with body image happened in the 7th grade.  I remember looking in the mirror at my normal weight body and thinking, "My legs look pretty good."  Then I went to school, and noticed the very slender legs of my friends and classmates.  By comparison, my legs looked like tree trunks.

And tree trunks is what they have been in my mind since that day.

For most of my life since then, I have spent a great deal of energy trying to hide my tree trunk legs.  I also believe that feeling this way about my legs (and the rest of my imperfect body) contributed to my eating habits and reaching a body weight of 274 pounds.  I believed, to the depth and core of my being, that I could never be pretty or look good...so why try?

Now, explain this:  The other day, as I donned my bathing suit for another fun splash exercise session in the pool, I looked in the mirror and thought, "My legs look pretty good!"  Keep in mind, their "tree-trunkness" hasn't really changed.  Inches-wise, they haven't gotten that much smaller over the past year.  So what's going on?

The only thing that makes sense to me is that these days I'm more concerned with being who God made me to be than with comparing myself to others.  My legs haven't changed that much.  If they are not the slim appendages that I might wish for, I can still be grateful that they are strong.  I can thank God that I can walk, and maybe someday they will even take me on a run.  I can be thankful that when I get on my knees to pray, my knees don't hurt! 

I can't imagine anything more satisfying in this life than becoming the people God made us to be, to accomplish the things in life that He created us for!

For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.  Ephesians 2:20

2 comments:

  1. Hi Cindy,

    I guess it's not too practical to move to England. And they rarely fuss with their hair like we do. Hmmm. Maybe we should consider moving...

    Our Pastor talked yesterday about the importance of being prepared in season and out of season to do the work that God calls us to. It was a great sermon, by the way. If anyone's interested, you can watch it at mdpc.org.

    As you know, I love this verse from Ephesians. I love the idea that He has prepared work for all of us in advance! It's why it's so important to be ready--we don't want to miss it!

    Love you,
    Your sister

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

(If you have trouble commenting, try using the "Anonymous" setting and sign your name on your post. I have set all the permissions to include everyone, but some people are still having troubles. Sorry!)