Saturday, August 25, 2012

Lessons from my closet

Periodically, I have been going through my closet and getting rid of clothes that don't fit any more.

I don't want any wiggle room to go backwards!  Goodwill has received bags and bags of my big clothes. It feels good when I drop them off at the collection center, knowing they'll be worn by someone else who needs them.

But lately, for some reason, I've been having a hard time letting go of a few things.  There are the blouses that I embroidered myself with my nifty embroidery machine.  And other articles that bring back fond memories of good times I had wearing them. 

I haven't worn any of these things for some time, nor do I plan to ever wear them again.  But I still don't want to let them go.

It got me to thinking about the struggles I've been having lately, and how I have been missing "the good old days" of eating without thinking about every bite.  I'm having a hard time letting go of those old, familiar feelings.  I need to move forward, but I'm holding back.  I'm at a place in my journey where I'm feeling pretty comfortable, and moving forward from here means REALLY changing my behavior as well as the way I look.  I just don't know if I'm ready to do that.

So in the meantime, I think it's a good idea to really clean out the closet.  Maybe if I let go of those clothes that don't fit any more, it will be easier to let go of the old thoughts and habits that also no longer fit in my life.  We'll see how that works out.  I'll let you know.

Hugs.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Cindy,

    You know, you have already REALLY changed your behavior, and you have already REALLY changed the way you look!  And the way you look is darling, I might add.  :)

    Interesting about the things you don't want to part with.  I think everyone has some of that in their closet.  For me it's a backless floral sundress that Todd brought me from the Bahamas before we were married, and a maternity dress that Mom made with hand embroidery on the front.  I can assure you that I never plan on wearing either one of those things, but they are both very special to me.  I'm wondering about making a quilt out of this kind of clothing.  Not that I could do that, but I do know someone who could!

    Whether you keep them, give them away or upcycle them (a new word I learned), I think cleaning out the closet is always a good idea!

    Love you!
    Your sister

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how you feel. I have a definate love/ hate relationship with my closet, depending on how my clothes are fitting me. I either love going in and chosing what to wear, or dread goung in and having to find something appropriate that still fits!

    Pam

    ReplyDelete

(If you have trouble commenting, try using the "Anonymous" setting and sign your name on your post. I have set all the permissions to include everyone, but some people are still having troubles. Sorry!)