Thursday, December 29, 2011

The Joy of Restraint


"There is a limit to enjoyment, though the sources of wealth be boundless; and the choicest pleasures of life lie within the ring of moderation."  --Martin Farquhar Tupper, Proverbial Philosophy



Only two days left.  It's been a most memorable holiday season.  I learned some things.  I think the most important lesson was the realizing that I could enjoy the holidays, including special foods (in moderation) and being with people I love, WITHOUT eating too much and regretting it later. 

It's a new concept for me.  I have heard this idea bantered about in years past (usually by well-meaning diet counselors) but never had the urge, until this year, to actually put the idea to the test.  It hasn't been easy, and I didn't do it perfectly, but it was totally worth the effort. 

The hardest part of it all has been bucking the "eat 'till you explode" system of our holiday traditions.  Part of the struggle was peer pressure, but a good portion of the struggle was within my own mind.  I'm just like everyone else.  I wanted to eat the cookies and the pies and all the other yummies that were available at every opportunity.  And I did enjoy a cookie here and a bite of pie there.  Oh yeah...and the Haagen Dazs! 

Now that it's almost over, I've been thinking about how I can handle it next year--hopefully with a little more grace and a little less panic.  At least now I know it's possible to face a bowl of stuffing without stuffing my face.  I know it's possible to lose weight over the holidays instead of gaining it (grand total coming soon!)  I've learned the joy that results from restraint!  Who knew that NOT indulging my every eating whim would be so....satisfying? 

An aside . . . I went to the year-end inventory clearance at my favorite plus-size store and guess what?  Most everything they had was too big for me!  I need some smaller jeans, but I already own the smallest size they carry.  Amazing.

2 comments:

  1. I love it! We'll go shopping when you come here! The amazing thing is YOU, and how powerfully our God is working in you. Congratulations on smaller jeans!!!

    Love you,
    Your sister

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cindy,

    I just had to tell you that I'm working on our Nehemiah curriculum for next year. At the end of the lesson for Nehemiah chapter 8, there is this question: "What is the relationship of joy and obedience in your spiritual journey?" Isn't God so amazing?!

    Love,
    Your sister

    ReplyDelete

(If you have trouble commenting, try using the "Anonymous" setting and sign your name on your post. I have set all the permissions to include everyone, but some people are still having troubles. Sorry!)