Thursday, November 8, 2012

Becoming

I'm becoming.

I don't mean that I am particularly attractive (although I am quite a bit cuter than I used to be!)

It occurs to me that calling someone becoming is a compliment.  But what is "becoming", really?  One definition is "attractive", but another is "moving from one state of being to another."

If you follow the logic of the transitive property of math, then the act of "becoming" is, by definition, attractive!

Okay, maybe I'm stretching a little bit here.  But think about it.  Positive change IS attractive!  In many ways, I AM becoming!  I am becoming healthier.  I am becoming more capable of overcoming old, destructive eating cues.  I am becoming more active.  I am also becoming a little bit bi-lingual (I listen to Spanish instruction CD's in the car.)  And, I am becoming a person who cooks!

The other thing I like about the idea of "becoming" is that it is not a destination.  It is a state of being.  It's like this weight loss thing.  The choices I make each day are taking me to a different kind of life.  I will never "arrive", really, because even when I reach my weight goal the journey will not be over.  In order to stay there I will have to continue to carry out the lessons I have learned along the way, as well as learning new lessons about maintaining a healthy weight.  I will have to continue "becoming" in order to stay healthy.

We are all becoming!  That, my friends, is very attractive.

Hugs.

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh. The transitive property of math. If A=B and B=C, then A=C

    That is just one of my favorite statements! (Unfortunately, that is actually true!)

    Here's another favorite:

    "And we...are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory" (2 Cor 3:18)

    Yes, you are being transformed! Or becoming transformed. And that's very becoming!

    Thank you as always for sharing your thoughtful thoughts!

    Love you,
    Your sister

    ReplyDelete

(If you have trouble commenting, try using the "Anonymous" setting and sign your name on your post. I have set all the permissions to include everyone, but some people are still having troubles. Sorry!)