Friday, August 12, 2011

Road Trip!

Today is my husband's birthday, and we are going to pack a few things (and I do mean a FEW), hop into the Miata and head for the California coast.  Normally, I wouldn't want to take a road trip in the Miata.  Being overweight, it's a bit snug, and as the car is low to the ground, it's a bit bumpy.  But the idea of being able to toodle along Highway 1 next to the ocean with the top down is tantalizing...so we're going to go for it!
Of course my real worry is the diet.  There will be no handy Jenny Craig meals on this trip.  I'm going to have to face real life food in real life restaurants and make real life decisions about what I'm going to eat.  On the many diets I have been on in the past, this type of challenge always had me shaking in my boots.  Usually I would spend half the trip being miserable that I couldn't eat what everyone else was eating, and the other half eating eating everything and anything I wanted!  And then, of course, I would lose the mindset of getting back on plan, and the plan would pfffsssttt! disappear while all the pounds I had lost would mysteriously come home to roost.

This time, however, I'm not shaking.  I'm not worried (well...not VERY worried.)  I feel calm.  I have my points allowance.  I have my iPhone with my WeightWatchers Mobile app.  I have the understanding that this way of eating is not cruel and unusual punishment, but simply a way of eating I have chosen to follow from now on.  I understand that making healthy eating choices is normal (normal weight people have to do that too) and I don't have to let anxiety over food keep me from having a great time on this little trip.

How am I doing on my pep talk?

Now I'll tell you that we are going to a place famous for their Danish pastries!  I'll let you know how it went when I get back.  Blessings to you all!



No comments:

Post a Comment

(If you have trouble commenting, try using the "Anonymous" setting and sign your name on your post. I have set all the permissions to include everyone, but some people are still having troubles. Sorry!)