Thursday, August 25, 2011

Thoughts on Weighing and Measuring . . .

I've been weighing and measuring my food.  I've been weighing and measuring myself.  I tried to weigh and measure the cats, but they rebelled.

I can't blame them.  I know how they feel.  For all of my life up to this point, I also squirmed and hissed and ran away whenever weighing and measuring was brought up.  Who wants the hassle of doing this to your food?  Who wants the potential distress of doing this to yourself?

The funny thing is, it doesn't bother me any more.  I keep the digital food scale out on the kitchen counter.  It's always ready.  I don't have to guess how much I'm supposed to eat...I know.  Surprisingly, it's usually more than I think it's going to be.  And as for myself, I weigh every day and measure once a week.

Yeah, I know.  You're not "supposed" to weigh every day.  But I find it works for me.  My weight naturally goes up and down during the week, but I can see the trend.  If my official weigh day happens to be an up day, knowing it'll probably go down again in a day or two keeps me going.  The measuring shows me the physical changes that are happening, even if my weight is standing still. 

Surrendering my resistance to weighing and measuring has made my life much easier.  It's like surrending my will to God.  If I can just quit kicking and screaming for 30 seconds, He might be able to show me which direction He wants me to go.

I don't think the cats will be surrendering any time soon. 

3 comments:

  1. Haha! You are so funny! I can just picture the protest that Dusty and Phoebe would put up. You wouldn't see Phoebe for days!

    Weigh away! I'm bubbling over with pride for you! What a perfect thought about surrender. Makes me think of the acronym I wrote about surrender after our retreat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stop
    Unending
    Rebellion
    Relinquish
    Every
    Negative
    Desire
    Enjoy
    Relief, rest, refreshment

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm doing this on my phone and am having a little trouble! Missed talking to you yesterday. I love you!
    Your sister

    ReplyDelete

(If you have trouble commenting, try using the "Anonymous" setting and sign your name on your post. I have set all the permissions to include everyone, but some people are still having troubles. Sorry!)