Monday, October 24, 2011

Read My Lips

It's one of my hardest things, saying no.  I hate to disappoint people.  I want them to like me.  As a result many times, I say, "Yes," when I really want to say, "No."

I'm getting better about saying no to foods I don't want to eat, but it's even harder to say no to things I don't want to do.  I think in the past, one of the reasons I ate was because it was the one thing only I controlled.  And it was like, if I couldn't DO what I wanted to do, I could at least EAT what I wanted to eat.

I still struggle with doing what I want to do, and with saying no to the things I don't want to do.  But I realize that I need to learn to say no, gracefully and with conviction.  I need to risk disappointing people, or not being liked, so I can be at peace with myself.

Of course, there are times when it's appropriate to do things we don't want to do,  Come to think of it, my goal should not be to do only the things that please myself, but to do the things that please God.  The trick is knowing what those things are!  I'm pretty sure, however, that God doesn't want me to just say YES to every request everyone makes of me. 

Sigh.  Nobody said this was going to be easy.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cindy,
    I'm catching up on your blog! Someone once told me, "Not every call is a call from God!" So every time the phone rings we don't have to feel like we have to say yes. As for your no's to food--they are adding up big time! 31 pounds! Woohoo!
    Love you,
    Your sister

    ReplyDelete

(If you have trouble commenting, try using the "Anonymous" setting and sign your name on your post. I have set all the permissions to include everyone, but some people are still having troubles. Sorry!)